, , , , ,

This is my shed.

Yeah, yeah, I know, well we can’t all have quirky interesting sheds. I’ve actually got another shed too, up at the allotment, which is both quirky and interesting so maybe it’ll find its way onto these pages before long just to prove this is Not My Style (honest).

Anyway. I inherited the shed with the garden, and as I was wittering on about recently, there were a lot of eccentric design decisions made by my predecessor in this garden – one of them being to place this shed plumb in the middle of the main view from the house. So when you look out of my kitchen window you see my lovely plants set against a gorgeous background of poo-brown shiplap.

Next bit. This is my Problem Area.

It’s actually right opposite the shed, a little further down, and all I can do with it is hack it back periodically as nothing will grow there. It’s under the deep shade of an overhanging cobnut tree (one of the more lovely aspects of my garden) and is a jungle of nettles, next door’s self-seeded pink buddleia and rampant borage. You quite often see this deceptively pretty plant sold both as plants and seed in garden centres, at which I invariably laugh hollowly and totter out weakly since I’ve been waging a running battle with it for nearly 7 years – mind you I’m winning… mwah ha ha ha….

Mmm. Well. Anyway. I have for quite a long time been eyeing the shed… then eyeing the Problem Spot… then eyeing the shed again… It’s an obvious solution. So today I started digging. You can just about see the fork (about to root out those bloody borage roots again) and the stakes marking out the spot in the picture above. It’s going to be a horrible job (the pic of the shed very wisely doesn’t include one of its contents – I don’t think I’ve seen the back wall since we moved in) but the results will be Step One in the great garden makeover. Wish me luck.